Saturday, June 18, 2005

Newcastle

Yep, I was away for a while, in fact. Those pictures from Newcastle are not yet on my laptop, so I thought it would've been nice to wait 'till I get'em b4 posting anything. But it's been to long now. The trip was all right.. 3 days of absolute chilling out in newy. In the first and second day the swell was too small though, but the party.. The people are definitely crazy there, I met heaps on them, really cool. We knew that the surf wouldn't be good the next day, so hang over wasn't an issue on that spicy saturday. On monday it finally picked up. We didn't go out on sunday and stood over a backpacker, rather that in the car, so we were in the right conditions for the promissing next day. no disappointments, we woke up in front of 3 foot east swell waves and an idilyc offshore. we got our arses to merewheter, which is sort of the main break in newcastle, where Mark Richards had the genious idea of putting a third fin in his board and changed surfing forever. It was going off, I can't wait to get the pictures.. as I took them myself there are none of me surfing. but that's fine. and we taped as well, but It seems that the guy who took charge of the camera didn't find us. I would be a bit sucky if I had to stay in because I forgot the bloddy steamer back in manly as well, though. we scored great waves over the most smooth rocks bottom i've ever surfed. It was fun to fall onto the rocks and get smashed by the waves, it wasn't sharp at all! almost as sweet as sand, in fact. there is a break called The Merewheter Lady where we surfed just the 3 of us for most of the time. The take off is easy, over deep water at the sets, but then it comes to a bowl and further inside it sucks all the water and sometimes close out. sometimes u can make it though. I spent the whole session trying and getting smashed on the rocks until I eventually scored a particularly insane barrel. But in the very best one I didn't come out.. and got my board's nose bent. Poor DHD, I want to get it sorted b4 I take off to indo.
Coming back to Manly we stopped in loads of spots. Terringal, 48min up north from here, is amazing, but the wind was screwing up. All the guys but me surfed avoca beach afterwards, I didn't realy like it actually, so I waited in the car and lended my wetsuit to that guy who had forgotten his one. And I guess that was it!

No comments: